Saturday, August 16, 2008

July 14-17th, half days of summer fun



This week I worked just in the mornings, and Anna and I headed out for an adventure every afternoon.

Monday - we met Linda and her son Jake at Matheson Lake, and the kids had fun despite the coolish temperatures. Windy, and no one went in the water. Bizarre after our Saltspring weekend of scorching hot weather.

Tuesday - Sooke Pot Holes. Anna and I took a picnic to Sand Pebble Beach, and explored a trail for a bit before heading down to dip in the water and relax on shore. Tim met us a little later for some pothole fun.

Wednesday - Bought swimwear. Ventured into the bikini territory. Figured I'm 35, it's a now or never kind of thing. This year, pot belly be damned, I'm wearing a two piece, and enjoying it. And I have been! We met Dana, Jake and Darcie at an old favourite beach on Cordova Bay, just south of McMorran's. The water was deliciously warm, and I swam, and played with Darcie and Jake in the water, though Anna was still reluctant to get wet. Up top, the playground has been totally revamped and is much nicer. On the way home, we went to Kelsey's for dinner. They bring Anna a brand new package of three crayons, which she can keep, to colour her place mat. I had a childhood favourite dinner--barbequed ribs, coleslaw, and root beer. Turns out that's tastier when you're 12. Go figure. But Anna really enjoyed her mini hamburgers.

Thursday - Anna and I headed to China Beach, where I backpacked her down to French Beach, a 2.5 km hike. Not long, but she's at my maximum pack weight now, so it was a good workout. The beach was wonderfully breezy and warm at the same time, and we soaked up some sun before heading up again. We stopped at the French Beach store, now reopened, for ice cream--we made it just in time, but we were shooed out by the owner who needed to gate the entrance at the road. All in all, still a good end to this mini-vacation.

No comments: